Welcome to Rights in Russia
“[…] the striving for freedom never died out in Russia, and over the centuries in each generation there have been people who devoted their lives to the struggle for freedom, and sacrificed their lives for freedom’s sake.” – Liudmila Alekseeva (1927-2018)
“[…] We are not civil society. But we prepared the ground to enable civil society to emerge, and it has emerged.” – Arseny Roginsky (1946-2017)
Here is the link to our publications of the past week: Weekly Update.
Our review of this week’s news highlights the following:
– the dire state of freedom of expression in Russia;
– the prosecution of human rights lawyer Ivan Pavlov;
– the attack on the Anti-Corruption Foundation;
– the jailing of Sergei Davidis of Memorial Human Rights Centre;
– the latest judgments from the European Court of Human Rights.
In our latest English-language video, Mary Page interviews Olga Podoplelova, head of Litigation at the Russia Behind Bars Foundation.
Answering Bill Bowring’s 25 questions is Sergei Babinets, head of the Orenburg branch of the Committee Against Torture.
Our guest on the Russian-language podcast this week is Aleksandr Peredruk, a lawyer based in St. Petersburg who also works with Apologiya Protesta that provides legal assistance in relation to the right to peaceful assembly.
Our translations this week are:
– the latest weekly news round-up from OVD-Info;
– the latest weekly news-round up from Team 29;
– an open letter by Russian lawyers demanding an end to the prosecution of Ivan Pavlov;
– a statement by OVD-Info on the prosecution of Ivan Pavlov and Team 29;
– a statement by human rights activists about the authorities’ attacks on the Anti-Corruption Foundation;
– Lev Ponomarev on the authorities’ attacks on the Anti-Corruption Foundation;
– Boris Vishnevsky on the use of violence against peaceful protesters;
– Memorial Human Rights Centre on the case of Aleksei Vorsin;
– Memorial Human Rights Centre on the case of Gleb Maryasov.
This week’s blogs:
– Simon Cosgrove looks back at events of the past week in Russia.
Rights in Russia